Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Are we God-honoring?


*First off, I'm rarely this think-y on my blog. This has just been on my mind a lot lately.

For the second time in our marriage (both out of town, actually), Justin and I were walking down a street and asked by 2 men if we supported gay rights. The first time, we were in Denver on our honeymoon and Justin just said, "Uhh.." as we were walking. We were walking by. The timing was poor. The second time was very similar, except Justin said, "No, thanks."

As we were walking away I asked him if he thought our responses to those 2 situations were honoring to the Lord. Not that I was anti-what he said. I wasn't/am not. I just don't know the answer to that question. First off, that's a reallllyyyyy loaded question. With everything going on lately, my guess is that they mean in regards to marriage, but 'rights' makes me think of the right to vote, shop, drive, get a job, etc. I'm pretty sure that's not what they meant.

Anyways, if I agree with what the Bible calls marriage, but I'm supposed to love everyone - all my neighbors, straight, gay, purple, liberal, conservative, northern, rude, etc., then is saying "No, thanks" a loving response? Telling them why they're wrong and making them think I'm judging them certainly doesn't seem appropriate either. A sin is a sin is a sin, and a believer would not respond well to me being jerk to them and telling them how wrong they are, so why would a non-believer respond well. If I told them in love (whatever that looks like to a stranger on the street), I cannot expect a (potentially) non-believer to respond as a believer would if I approached them in love anyways.

I don't know the answer. I'm just thinking on it. I'd love anyone else's thoughts, but I would not love to argue with anyone about this. I will not talk to you if you try to argue with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment